2014年8月24日星期日

Dystopian Concerns of Ubiquitous Media


One interesting opinion of dystopian of high technology is about the adaptation of high technology. It is presupposed by me or by most of the young generation that it is not a problem to handle the ever changing operation systems of computers, updates of different kind of software, various dazzling type of apps used for every aspect of our daily life. However, when give it a second thought, I find the reality is not even close.

Taking my family as an example, which is a normal middle-level one with general background of education in Eastern China. Not to mention my grandparents who barely give any attention to the Internet concerning tasks, which keeps them away from the benefits and convenience brought by the technologies and live nearly unchanging life ever since twenty years ago, even my parents found it difficult to keep up with new lifestyle, though they try their best to plunge into it. My mother is driven by her will to “see” me after I go to a university away from home and learns to video chat online. And also, she strives to do the online shopping, hoping to grab something cheap and good like the others always tell her so. However, for her lack of knowledge of how computer works, it always frightens her and makes her nervous when every single error occurs, and then she turns to me for help, describing it as a terrible disaster.

Are there such situations that people who are not familiar with Internet live harder than before, because the old fashioned style has been completely replaced by the new one? Even they don’t expect to have that much entertainment or that attractive functions, their life quality has also been harmed? Right now I haven’t come up with an example, but if it exists, that should be a problem. And also, if the high technology blocks the elder generation from living diversified and meaningful life, even if it hasn’t harm their old lifestyle, that should be suspected as well. It reminds me of an old man who once told me in a short conversation, that his life means nothing but picking up his grandson from kindergarten.

没有评论:

发表评论